"
Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." -Julia Child

Friday 18 February 2011

I do believe, I do believe in edible "Fairy Dust"


The most exciting part about this cake was making all the chocolate decorations using tempered chocolate and metallic edible dust...which I keep calling fairy dust on accident. I imagine this is what Tinker Bell throws on people and using the edible magical dust's proper term is just not as much fun. 



The cake has many components starting with a pistachio sponge cake, white chocolate and vanilla bean mousse, strawberry jelly (sounds gross but is really good), all covered with white chocolate glacage and dark chocolate design on top. 

One of my classmates accidentally dropped his cake just before grading this morning, we all felt so bad for him. It has definitely happened to each one of us at one point or another. For me that moment was when I knocked over my plate of Crepes au Citron last year...not only did I ruin my crepes, but I shattered a plate. It is one of those moments where you would have thought someone had died. All the chefs gasp and then there is just a silent almost mourning moment before everyone springs into action to help recover the fallen. It's what I imagine our brave men and women in the military feel when something out of the ordinary happens...obviously a damaged cake is on a very different level of emergency in comparison. Only in a ultra-foodie school would there be a mourning moment for slightly damaged goods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment