"
Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." -Julia Child

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Blow Fish...

My last week of sugar work ended with a few bangs...both figuratively and literally. Monday we got to make our "under the sea" sugar piece. The basic structure of it had to be our final exam design. Fortunately for me we were allowed to change the colors, because otherwise my fish would be swimming in a piece inspired by fire. Our chef showed us how to make a dolphin and little mussels, along with a multitude of other sea life. 

As I started to blow-up my sugar fish, I just could not get the size right. They were either more like the size of a whale or looked like a puffer fish blown up. My chef mockingly told me that I had an "army of fish"...to which I responded, "well they need to protect themselves from your dolphin!". After I said it, I just thought, 'please laugh please laugh', being disrespectful definitely does not bode well in the kitchen. Thankfully he did laugh and it made the day much more fun. Everything rolled how it should and I felt really happy with the piece when it was finished. 



Off to pastiallge...

Pastiallge is a mixture of powdered sugar and lemon juice. You work the mixture into a thick dough and you must use it right away. Once dried the texture is like porcelain...and it also shatters like porcelain. Feeling less than inspired the day we had to make all of our pieces, I just started cutting out shapes and it actually turned out pretty whimsical. I figured if worse came to worse I would just say it was "abstract" and call it a day. My favorite part about this experience was using the air brush gun. I really can't even describe how happy that little painting tool made me.  It is strangely empowering. 


The pressure was on for my final sugar piece practice. I had to time myself and be finished within 1 hour and 15 minutes...well I finished in 1 hour and 13 minutes.  The only caveat is that since it was SO hot all the pieces on my sculptures started tilting. My chef came over and said "you can do better, start over". Uhhhhhhhh!!!!! I was so mad! I have felt so confident in sugar up until this point and having to redo my piece on the last time I get to practice before my final exam is a little unnerving. 


My High Tea event is up next...who knows what could happen during all of that chaos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment