"
Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." -Julia Child

Tuesday 5 January 2010

There are many ways to cut vegetables...

Well I had my first official day of class. I did not have class until 4, so I got my cooking pants shortened and got some other things for my room. So I get to school and I get changed into my cooking uniform...I wish I could post pictures, but I am not allowed to put them on the internet. I will show them to you all when I get home. I look pretty funny in my uniform, but I am not going to lie it does make me feel a little bit more like I know what I am doing! Everyone in my classes are SO nice and helpful. The program is extremely intense. Basically I have a sit down observation/take notes class and then I have a hands on class in which I am graded on what we learned in the observation class. Today we learned how to cut vegetables in different ways and segment an orange with no skin. It sounds super simple, but it was actually kind of hard. Apparently my julienne carrots where not as thin as they should be :(. About half of my class has quite a bit of prior experience in the restaurant business, but there other half is in the same boat as me. I was the last one to leave the kitchen today, but I was not the last one to finish my dishes. It took me a while to clean up my mess. I have definitely learned that if I ever open a kitchen the first person I hire will be to clean up after me! We have them in our classes and they are called the porters. They are extremely helpful when you are rushing around the kitchen trying to finish a dish. I finished school at 9 and then headed back to the dorm. Thankfully there are many little cafe's open late, so I was able to pick up some dinner. Finally I got home at 10...I think there will be a lot of late nights. I am having a great time and I know that I am learning so much. Get excited for some fun dinner parties when I get home! Only one class tomorrow, but Thursday and Friday I have 3 (which equals 9 hours). More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah!! Sounds like you are loving it all ready.....tell Gordon Ramsey you will be the next winner of Hell's Kitchen ;) Oh, and I need some good tips! Love ya and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete